Projects Gbenga Ashafa Trust Endowment (G.A.T.E)
The Gbenga Ashafa Trust Endowment (GATE) is a trust fund set up by Senator Ashafa to support community development projects. The trust provides funds for projects in the following key areas:
- Professional Development & Skills Acquisition
- ICT Training
- Sustainable Agricultural Development
Some of Senator Ashafa’s projects under the Gbenga Ashafa Endowment Trust include:
1. Youth Energy Career Program
The Youth Energy Career Program is a six-month internship designed for graduates. Participants are trained on power and energy systems at the Siemens Power Academy, in collaboration with the Lagos State Electricity Board. This program is designed to equip middle management officers with the skill set required to drive the emerging independent power sector in Lagos State. Graduates of this program have gone on to jobs at companies and agencies such as the Lagos State Electricity Board, Oando Gas, General Electric, EcoSolar, Marine Power and ALM Consulting.
2. ICT Training Program
The ICT Training Program runs monthly and has trained over five hundred youths in the Senator’s district since 2011. This program is run at Encounter House in Magodo Phase II, Lagos. Students are trained to be proficient in using applications such as the Microsoft Office suite, Desktop Publishing and Corel Draw. The top graduating student for each month is awarded a personal computer and a printer.
3. The Education Enhancement Program
The Education Enhancement Program provides scholarships to students at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels of education. It also provides funds for infrastructural development at schools, school supplies such as books, stationery and raincoats to pupils in secondary schools across the district. In collaboration with EMC, USA a technology company, the Program provided twenty new computers to Iwerekun Community Senior Secondary School, Lakowe, Ibeju-Lekki. Some other positive impacts of the program include:
- The construction of a school clinic at Kosofe College.
- Laboratory equipment provided to Kosofe Senior College and Isheri Grammar School – in collaboration with DufilProva Foods Plc.,
- Donation towards the construction of National Union of Teachers office in Ibeju-Lekki.
- Donation towards the endowment fund at Michael Otedola College of Primary Education.
4. Sustainable Agricultural Development
Senator Ashafa is also passionate about sustainable agricultural development. He has supported farmers in Epe & Ibeju-Lekki through a back-to-farm initiative. This initiative encourages constituents to invest in agriculture, and provides them with the tools they need to succeed. Some of the positive impacts of the back-to-farm initiative include:
- Provision of micro-finance to fishermen.
- Fish farming training for constituents at sessions organized by the Association of Aqua Culture Farmers of Nigeria.
- Provision of fishing nets, seeds, cassava stalk, fertilizer, pesticides, farming tools etc. to farmers.
Healthcare is another of Senator Ashafa’s community development priorities. His constituency office implements a monthly health screening program free of charge in several local government areas. About 2,000 constituents have been screened for diabetes and hypertension, and have received eye tests. This healthcare program has also provided funds to cover the cost of eye surgeries and glasses for several constituents.
The Gbenga Ashafa Trust Endowment provides micro-finance to constituents across the Lagos East senatorial district, to enable them start small-scale businesses. The endowment also provides goods and/or tools to constituents to enable them trade or provide services. For example: hair cutting equipment, hair dressing equipment, farming tools, and foodstuff such as rice, indomie etc. for traders.