Work In The Senate
Senator Ashafa is Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Housing, Lands & Urban Development. He is also a member of the following Senate committees:
- Environment and Ecology Committee
- Committee on Federal Character and Inter-Governmental Relations
- Gas Committee
- Senate Services Committee
During his time at the Senate, he has sponsored twelve bills:
1. SB 50 – Income Tax Holiday Bill 2011
This bill seeks to provide tax breaks to companies, organizations or individuals who sponsor sporting activities, so as to promote the development of sports within Nigeria. This is to encourage the private sector to support the government in the development of sports.
2. SB 55 – National Agency for the Preservation & Promotion of Local Languages in Nigeria Bill 2011
This bill seeks to establish the National Agency for the Preservation & Promotion of Local Languages in Nigeria. This agency will be tasked with developing and implementing education and cultural policies to promote the use of local languages in Nigeria. The overall purpose is to save our local languages from extinction.
3. SB 227 – Treaties (Making, Procedures, etc.) Act CAP T20 LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill 2012
This bill seeks to amend the Treaties (Making, Procedures etc.) Act to make consultation with the National Assembly mandatory, before any treaty can be entered into or signed between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and any other nation. This is to ensure that the interests of the nation are protected and all treaties are advantageous to the nation.
4. SB – Criminal Code Act CAP C38 LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill 2012
This bill seeks to amend the Criminal Code Act, CAP C38 FNN 2004, to list the smuggling of human beings as an offence. This is referred to as migrant smuggling.
5. National Directorate of Employment Act CAP N28, LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill 2013
This bill seeks to amend the National Directorate of Employment Act, to provide for the establishment of resource centres in all federal universities in Nigeria.
6. Harmful Waste (Special Criminal Provisions etc.) Act CAP H11 LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill 2013
This bill seeks to amend the Harmful Waste (Special Criminal Provision etc.) Act 2004 to:
- Control the importation of electronic devices that have reached or are close to the end of their shelf lives.
- Prohibit the burning of electronic waste.
- Address other related matters.
7. Value Added Tax Act CAP V1 LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill 2013
This bill seeks to amend the Value Added Tax Act to ensure uniformity in the implementation of tax laws across the country.
8. Minerals and Mining Act CAP M12 LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill 2013
This bill seeks to expand the functions of the Minister of Mines and Steel Development to include the responsibility for attracting foreign direct investment by providing incentives to prospective investors.
9. Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offenses Act CAP A6 LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill 2014
This bill seeks to raise the minimum prison sentence for anyone convicted under the Act from seven to ten years. Then objective is to deter would-be offenders.
10. Banks and Other Financial Institutions Act CAP B3 LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill
This bill seeks to increase the minimum punishment for any bank director or management staff convicted under this Act.
11. Advertising Practitioners Registration etc. Act CAP A7 LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill 2014
This bill seeks to increase the number of people who represent institutions of higher learning on the board (of the Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria) from two to six. This is to ensure that the ethnic, religious and cultural differences of the six geo-political zones in the country are represented.
12. Bank Employee etc. Declaration of Assets Act CAP B1 LFN 2011 (Amendment) Bill 2014
This bill seeks to make punishment for fraud perpetuated by bank employees more punitive, so as to serve as a deterrent to others in the banking industry.